Fidel Castro is highly topical since he recently passed away, 90 years old.Â For those who do not know the Fidel Castro of Cuba, he was prime minister between 1959-1976 and then as autocratic president from 1976 to 2008.Â He came to power after a civil war and overthrew the then president and Dictator Fulgencio Batista.Â His death has become both mourned and celebrated in the country, when many thought he ran Cuba’s economy into the ground.Â With that said, here are ten facts about Cuba’s former leader, you probably did not know!
10 Facts you Probably did not Know about Fidel Castro
01. Castro led Cuba forÂ five decadesÂ and is the ruling that has beenÂ the third longestÂ in the world ever.Â The only thing that has been longer than Castro is the British QueenÂ ElizabethÂ and theÂ King of ThailandÂ (who also recently passed away).
02. DespiteÂ torpedoesÂ andÂ assassinsÂ who tried to access the Cuban leader, an invasion and five decades of economic problems, he managed to still sit outÂ nineÂ US presidents;Â from Eisenhover to Clinton.
03. Sure, it can be boring to listen to long political speeches sometimes?Â Then be glad you did not live in Cuba under Castro’s time in the 60’s.Â He holds namelyÂ the world recordÂ inÂ the longest speechÂ ever delivered by a leader.Â The speech went on forÂ four hours and 29 minutesÂ and held on 26 September in 1960.
04. The US intelligence agencyÂ CIAÂ had a plan to use chemically producedÂ depilatories that would make Fidel Castro’sÂ beardÂ to fall off.
05. YearÂ 2007Â was not a fun year for the CIA, when it released documents revealed that several agents in the organization had collaborated with theÂ Italian MafiaÂ in an attempt toÂ assassinateÂ Fidel Castro during the year in 1960.
06. In 1940 wrote the then 12-year-old Castro a letter to then US President Franklin D. Roosevelt and asked about getting a 10 dollar bill sent to him. The reason? He had never seen one before.
07. American CIA plans toÂ invadeÂ Cuba andÂ dismissÂ Cuban president went under the code name “Operation Castration ‘, funny enough.
08. When Castro came to power in Cuba were a lot of thingsÂ bannedÂ in the country.Â But perhaps the most remarkable storyline was that he beodrade allÂ Monopoly board gamesÂ that existed in the country wouldÂ be destroyed.Â Bad loser?
09. In an interview with a local newspaper in the country to Fidel Castro have said that he saved a total ofÂ ten daysÂ a year by just helpÂ shave.
10 Three of the former leader of Castro’s sons isÂ namedÂ after “Alexander the Great”;Â Alexis,Â AlejandroÂ andÂ Alexander.