The Second World War is one of man’s greatest events in modern times.Â Then it is perhaps not surprising that even today – over 70 years later – is discussed and filmed as never before.Â Between 1939 and 1945, several million people lost their lives in a war which covered virtually all the world’s great powers. Here is part two of the Top 10 Facts about Second World War you donâ€™t know
Top 10 Facts about Second World War you donâ€™t Know
01) The country had theÂ highest number of lossesÂ during World War II,Â RussiaÂ (former Soviet Union), with overÂ 21 millionÂ dead.Â And for everyÂ fifthÂ slain German soldier diedÂ fourÂ of them on the eastern front.Â And speaking of death;Â approximatelyÂ 1.5 millionÂ children were killed in concentration camps all around, a large majority were Jewish children, aboutÂ 1.2 million.
02) During the war (1939 – 1945) released the allied total of approximatelyÂ 3.4 million tonsÂ of bombs in enemy territory.Â It gets an average ofÂ 27,700 tonsÂ of bombsÂ per monthÂ (!).
03) Russia and its Red Army were accused of a variety ofÂ war crimes.Â Among other things, they haveÂ rapedÂ overÂ 2 millionÂ German women agedÂ 13-70 years).Â AlthoughÂ genocideÂ is on the list of war crimes that Russia effected.
04) Even after the Allied victory andÂ the releaseÂ of prisoners who sat in theÂ concentration camps, many beyond the reach of help.Â InÂ Bergen-BelsenÂ died overÂ 13,000Â prisoners ofÂ starvation.Â CloserÂ 2500Â prisoners of theÂ 33,000Â survivors ofÂ DachauÂ was the same fate, and died in the space ofÂ six weeksÂ simply because of starvation.
05) Battle of theÂ BulgeÂ was theÂ largestÂ and mostÂ deadlyÂ for US troops, with more thanÂ 80,000Â US losses.Â Also lostÂ RussiansÂ more troops during the siege ofÂ LeningradÂ than Americans and Britons lost through the warÂ together.
06) The so-called Japanese â€œkamikaze tacticÂ “, where the pilot flew right into the goal with the aircraft (and himself, of course), it was suggested October 19, 1944 by Vice AdmiralenÂ OnishiÂ .Â The reason is said to be that Japan was inferior to the AmericanÂ war technologyÂ and would thus balancing their chances.Â ApproximatelyÂ 2,800 kamikaze pilotsÂ died.Â They sankÂ 34 US warshipsÂ and damagedÂ 368Â apiece.Â 4900 crewmenÂ were killed andÂ 4800Â were injured.
07) SSÂ ran aÂ brothelÂ in Berlin which was called â€œThe Kitty SalonÂ ” for foreign diplomats and other important people in Berlin.Â TheÂ 20 prostitutesÂ who worked there were hard training before, just to get theÂ informationÂ from their guests with the help of conversations that could benefit the German Reich.
08) All is not quite agree on how World War II started.Â Most historians agree however that the war started whenÂ GermanyÂ invadedÂ PolandÂ on September 1, 1939. Others say the war got its start afterÂ JapanÂ invadedÂ ManchuriaÂ on September 18, 1931. A third party also says that World War IIÂ never existed, but only has been aÂ continuationÂ of theÂ First World War.
09) ApproximatelyÂ 600,000 JewsÂ fought in theÂ US ArmyÂ during World War II.Â More thanÂ 35,000Â of them died in battle, were captured or never reported back.Â Of these, 35 000 were approximatelyÂ 8000Â who died directly in combat.Â However, it was onlyÂ twoÂ Jewish soldiers who were rewarded with aÂ medal of honor.
10) The kind that lastedÂ longestÂ in the war was the Battle ofÂ the Atlantic, which lasted fromÂ 1939Â until the end of the war,Â 1945.Â That is to say that the Battle of the Atlantic lastedÂ throughoutÂ the war.